Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Best Friend is Dying

I woke up this morning to the sound of my mom telling me that Abby had been rushed to the hospital. She told me that she was having some sort of an episode and that my dad, my brother (her boyfriend), and the other boy that lives with us is there. I immediately burst out into heavy, tears.

Abby and I are best friends. She’s the closest girl in my life because all my other friends (and hers too) are guys. We have the same complex which makes us good for each other – we don’t like girl friends. We’ve come to the conclusion that they’re all the same and guys are better. That’s why we really hit it off. You’ll usually find Abs and I at the movies surrounded by six or seven guys, and that’s the way we like it.

I called my dad, asking if Abby was alright. He told me she was fine now, and is resting. I was still crying. My tears switched from crying for my best friend to crying that they left me out. Why wasn’t her best friend there to help her through this? Why didn’t anyone think to wake me up? Mom said they left so quickly and in such a hurry, I didn’t care.

I’m reminded of a lunch date I had with my mom. We have lunch dates every few weeks because mom works so much, if we don’t make time we’ll never get any. I was explaining to my mom all about Abby’s heart condition. She was born with it. She’s already had open heart twice (big scars across her chest), keep in mind she’s only twenty years old. When they go in for open heart they try to scar up a muscle that keeps growing back. This muscle won’t stop growing, even after two tries to scar the tissue. When it gets bigger, the flow of blood stops. I have seen this girl faint twice in my presence. It’s the scariest thing in the world to watch her go through this.

My mom looked at me and through a very serious face and said, “Eracey, is she dying?” Through more tears I nodded my head. “The first thing I think of as a mother is you’re going to have to go through losing a best friend.”

I don’t like talking about it. I don’t like writing about. I don’t like thinking about it. I’m crying even now. I’d just rather put it out of my mind for the time being. My friend is fine. She’s not going anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are having to go through this with your friend. You should be there and they should have taken you, too. At my age you kinda (not really) get use to losing those you care for. I had to bury my sister last week. It never gets easy. But I do understand you feelings. Virtual hugs to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my think positivly-you will get through this, pray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending some hugs and prayers for you both. My daughters prefer guy friends as well but there is nothing like a girlfriend and sometimes just one is exactly what we need.
    Make sure everyone knows you want to be involved. They may have been trying to protect you from being frightened or upset.

    ReplyDelete