Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Letter for You, My Dear

During band practice today, as I sang my harmonies I’d look over at our drummer and he’d be staring me straight in the eye. Vince has been playing drums for a few weeks now and he’s been a great addition to the team. He’s an experienced drummer and he learns well. Whenever I get up there to sing, especially during real time, he’s watching me – studying me. When I meet his gaze, he smiles like a sweet innocent boy.

I had to drive home two kids that had been around today, and Vince decided he’d join in and drive them for me. He took the keys and we ended up getting “lost” on the way home. We weaved through back roads and got farther and farther into the dark night; loving every minute of it. We talked and laughed and dreamt together for hours.

I had made Vince Michaels a mix tape that day and I brought it along so we could listen to the songs together. One of the songs was a silly one where the main instrument was a Uke called “Happy” by Never Shout Never. I told him I meant every word of that song, and he felt the same way. (Go listen, it’s a great one!)

We were embracing in front of his jeep, as he was saying his last goodbyes. “I’ll see you on Thursday,” He kissed my head. The hug kept going as they always do. We could be hugging for hours having sweet conversations together before the thought would even cross our minds that we should let go.

“That’s so far away,” I said muffled by his shirt.

“I have an idea,” He swayed with me back and forth. “Let’s write each other a letter tomorrow and then trade on Thursday.”

What a great idea. Everyone knows I can write way better than I can talk.

1 comment:

  1. AAHHH! Simple summer nights with a cute gal...never happend to me but I've read about it.

    ReplyDelete